Top 10 Tips on How to Diet to Lose Weight
By Bospauk Health
Many people today view their bodies as unsatisfactory.
Whether that is true or not is up for debate, but the fact of the matter is that if you do not like your body, you have every right to try to change it. One very popular method is through dieting. Compared to the physically exhausting method of exercise, dieting is a great alternative. But first, let’s discuss why dieting works.
Every human requires calories to function. If you’ve ever heard of the phrase “based on a 2000 calorie diet”, then you know that the typical daily calorie requirement used in the health industry is 2000 calories – but that number will be different for everyone, depending on your age, gender, weight and other genetic factors. All you need to realize that to diet, you are simply taking in less calories than you normally consume. Fat is one of the last things your body burns for fuel (typically reserved for when you are on the brink of survival). Therefore, by taking in less calories, your body eventually needs to burn fat! This is the way dieting works – once you understand this, you are one step closer to achieving your dieting goals.
(Note that if you really want to focus on burning fat though, there are ways to do that by changing what types of foods you are eating. We’ll get to that in a second).
So if you want to diet to lose weight, the biggest adjustment that you’ll need to make is simply to eat less. However, that is not always so easy for some people. This has to do with psychological factors such as not recognizing how much you are eating. If you eat an extra piece of cake at night without realizing it, you are only doing harm to your dieting goals. This is especially true when you start feeling hungry faster – your body is clearly asking you for food, which makes dieting a struggle if you can’t inhibit that urge to eat more.
Here are some big tips to follow to help you not only eat less and burn calories, but focus specifically on burning fat (which as mentioned above, can be done).
Bospauk Health’s top ten tips for dieting to lose weight:
- Calorie counting – this simply meanings keeping track of what you eat and how many calories it is throughout the day. Again, if you eat too much, you are not going to lose weight. There are plenty of websites and apps out there to help you count calories so be sure to take advantage of them!
- Drink water before meals – drinking water about a half hour before each meal will help you feel full and help you eat less.
- Drink coffee or tea – these are both metabolism boosters, meaning that they will help you burn calories faster.
- Eat your food slowly – often times people overeat without thinking about it. By eating your food slowly, you allow yourself time to see if you are actually still hungry before going up to get a second serving. A lot of times, if you wait just a few minutes, you will realize you are actually full!
- Use smaller plates – this is another psychologicial solution to overeating. By using smaller plates, you will end up eating less. It just works.
- Eat less Sugars – Sugar greatly stimulates the secretion of insulin in your body. However, insulin is what your body uses to store fat, which we don’t want. Therefore, if you eat less sugar, you will secrete less insulin. Your body will then let fat out of its storage and start burning that instead of carbs.
- Eat less Starches – This is the same with sugar. Less starches means less insulin. And that means fat will be burned more easily! And an added bonus – lowering insulin will reduce your water weight, as your kidneys will shed excess sodium and water out of your body!
- Eat Protein – this will not only boost your metabolism (meaning that you will burn more calories effortlessly), but it will also make you feel full, meaning you won’t have those cravings for more food! Talk about a double whammy!
- Eat vegetables – this is more so for being healthy, so it bears mentioning. Vegetables are low in carbs and contain all the fiber, vitamins and minerals you need to be healthy.
- Get a good night’s sleep – poor sleep is a huge risk factor for gaining weight. Don’t stay up too late and always get your beauty rest. It may seem like a small thing, but it’s better to play it safe rather than have your sleep negatively affecting your weight loss goals.
So are you ready to get that body you’ve always wanted? Then go out and get started – the sooner you start and maintain healthy dieting practices, the faster you’ll see the body you’ve always wanted!